Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Boy Named Reesor

It seems fitting to post a blog about the name we have chosen for our son. I have always been of the mindset that we would choose unique names for any children we have since I have had the joy of a very unique name. Choosing a name was more difficult than I imagined because after all, this is the name that will be connected with a human for the rest of their life! Sounds silly unless you have had to do it I suppose.

Before we knew whether little Das was a girl or boy, we would just throw names out there and see how they sounded. Everything I mentioned to Aaron was always met with a "mmm, I don't know..." from him. So I pressed on. LOL Then my grandmother took a turn for the worse after years of health complications and I was reminded of her maiden name: Reesor. My grandmother has forever been the most respected woman in my life. I don't say this to sound as if I don't respect my mom Marie or my mom Patrice. But anybody that knew my Oma would have to agree that she had a certain air about her that simply demanded respect in the most loving and unspoken way. And I realized....REESOR SOUNDS MASCULINE AND IS UNIQUE!

I was expecting another so-so response from Aaron when I mentioned it to him but instead was greeted by a "wow, that's kinda cool"! As this was the first name we had both agreed on it just kinda stuck! I was curious as to any meaning the name might carry so I researched a bit. The only thing I can find is that Reesor is derived from the German name Rieser which means...wait for it....ONE WHO TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY!!! Can you believe it? As a missionary kid I have lived all over the world and Aaron was born in India and is also a "child of travel"! I'm thrilled to have discovered that the meaning of Reesor's name goes perfectly with his parents' history!

So there you have it, our son's name is Reesor _____ Das. Not too sure on a middle name yet as I have left that to Aaron.

Oma went on to hang out in heaven in June of this year and I can't think of a better way to honor the woman she was and the legacy she has left than to pass her name on to my son who is a product of the very love she taught her family to feel and share.

Meet my Oma: Estella Merle Reesor McLuhan


4 comments:

  1. Precious and love the name of course :) Oma was a fantastic woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe and Aaron, this is awesome!!!! I LOVE the name Reesor and the story behind it! It's so special! Yay!!!!!!! Can you tell I'm so happy for you guys I can hardly handle it?
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you just the cutest pregnant person I've ever seen? YES!!!! Of course, I knew that would be the case. So... I want to help! I want to be a part of all of this excitement! I guess distance makes it a little hard :( but remember how you helped me paint Elijah's room? You were officially in charge of the giraffe. You did a pretty darn good job, too. Is there anything that I can do for you while I'm there in a couple of weeks? It's probably still too early, but if you think of anything, let me know. I love and miss you! Also, can you send out a short little email each time you update your blog? You're a great writer and I really like staying up to date. I don't want to miss anything :)
    Love you!
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those pictures make me miss mom so much! But knowing that my first grandson is named for her means SO MUCH! Wait until I tell you about the incredible legacy of the Reesor name and how far back it goes in recorded history. Your son has a far richer family history than you can imagine!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete