Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Shark Bites & Diabetes

I was just going to write about this whole Gestational Diabetes business but I feel like you might want an entertaining story as well. Real quick...



Friday night Aaron and I hopped in bed just like any other night and withing a few minutes were both sound asleep. Enter 2:30 AM and the attack of the invisible shark! I moved from a deep sleep to a dreamlike moment where I was audibly moaning and then instantly was flung in to full-fledged "awakeness" where I found myself screaming LOUDLY out of pain. Aaron woke with a jolt and let me tell you that the fact he woke up at all is a total miracle! He was trying to figure out what was wrong with me and why I had jumped out of bed and wouldn't stop screaming. The only words I could get out of my mouth were "leg cramp" in between my yells for mercy! Folks, when they say that pregnancy leg cramps hurt, THEY ARE NOT KIDDING! I could literally feel my left calve (or is it calf?) muscle in an egg-size knot and could not catch my breath from the pain. It felt like a shark had attached himself to my leg and wouldn't let up. My leg was sore the entire weekend from that episode and now every night when I go to bed I beg God to not let it happen and I have Aaron rub IcyHot all over my legs. LOL Hope you got a kick out of that.

Now on to more serious things. I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. 5% of women get this during pregnancy which is no fault of their own. We have the placenta and its hormones to thank for that. In a nut shell, it is what it sounds like: pregnancy diabetes. So I have had to change my entire diet and quite honestly, its not so bad at all. I lost a pound in 2 weeks without trying. Of course I am NOT trying to lose weight during my pregnancy. But I'm still on track for weight gain so I'm not worried at all.

So what would any good mommy do in order to make sure her child is born without breathing problems, low blood pressure, and obese?...I have become Suzy Home Maker. Here's what I'm eating these days:

Black Bean Soup:


Homemade Muesli:


Baked Kale Chips:


So there ya have it, a few samples. Enjoy the rest of your August my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment